Galbani® Gourmet Italian Sub
DONATELLA’S TIP: You don’t just “make” this sandwich—you “build it” with love! Using paper-thin cuts of meat really enhances the flavor. And Galbani Thin Sliced Mozzarella in place of traditional Provolone cheese (which is often used in subs) adds instant elegance and freshness.
- 1 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp. Oregano
- 1 Fresh garlic clove (smashed)
- 1 Red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1-2 tbsp. Calabrian chili paste
- Mayonnaise (for rolls)
- 1 Soft sub roll, split lengthwise
- Small Heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 lb. Assorted cured meats—such as prosciutto cotto, suppressata, Genoa salami and prosciutto—very thinly sliced
- 6-8 slices Galbani Thin Sliced Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 Pepperoncini, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. Crushed dried oregano for garnish
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- To create vinaigrette, in a bowl, combine extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and crushed garlic clove. Whisk and let sit in the bowl. Set aside.
- Place red onion slices in a small bowl and add cold water to cover; let soak 10 minutes. Drain, and use paper to pat very dry. Set aside.
- Stir Calabrian chili paste and mayonnaise together until fully incorporated.
- Remove garlic from the vinaigrette and whisk again.
- To prep sub roll, spread chili mayonnaise over the top part of the roll. Spoon a teaspoon or two of vinaigrette on the bottom of the roll, and add shredded romaine on top.
- Drape a single layer of meat slices so that they fold over themselves over the length of the bottom of the roll. Then, add a single layer of the Galbani Thin Sliced Fresh Mozzarella Cheese on top of the meat. Alternate red onion slices with slices of pepperoncini.
- Repeat the process until the sub roll is full.
- Drizzle vinaigrette on top. Garnish with a final sprinkle of dried oregano. Close sandwich and cut in half crosswise to serve.