The Best Caramel Apple Pie
Have you tried ‘The Best Caramel Apple Pie’? Try Donatella’s recipe for this delicious old-fashion apple pie made from scratch.
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cut into cubes and refrigerated)
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 6 granny smith apples (peeled, cored & sliced)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cloves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- store bought caramel or dulce de leche
- Combine flour, sugar, & salt in a bowl.
- Cut butter into flour with a pastry cutter or a food processer. Process until small beads form.
- Add water 1 tbsp. at a time until dough forms a ball. Do not over process.
- Form into 2 discs, wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Toss sliced apples in a bowl with 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then toss with apples
- Let apples sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll out a pie disc into a 12 in. round about 1/8 in. thick.
- Press into pie plate
- Fill the shell with the apples.
- Roll out second pie dough forming a disc.
- Pour 4 tbsp. store bought caramel sauce over apple filling.
- Place dough over filling and seal edges together.
- Brush top of pie with egg wash.
- Sprinkle top with 2 tsp. granulated sugar.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 450° for 15 mins. Reduce temperature to 350°.
- Continue to bake for 1 hour.