Mom’s Beef & Barley Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, diced ( short rib)
- Beef marrow bones (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- I bag frozen butternut squash or 1 cup fresh diced butternut squash
- 1 cup red wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme & oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Balsamic glaze garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season steak and marrow bones with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to the stockpot and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 6-8 minutes; set aside.
- Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and butternut squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 3-4 minutes. Ad tomato paste and stir for a minute then
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the stockpot.
- Stir in beef stock, barley, thyme, bay leaf and steak. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.; season with salt and pepper, and 2 tbsp of vinegar and stir.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and balsamic glaze to taste.*
- Serve immediately.