- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (from 1 small)
- 1 cup of arborio or carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pinches saffron
- 1-pound large peeled, deveined shrimp
- 3/4 cup petite frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1 1/2 ounces), plus more for serving
- One inch chunk of parmesan rind
- In a saucepan, combine broth, 2 cups water, lemon zest, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium. Swirl in 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion, season with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook, occasionally stirring, until soft and translucent, on medium-low heat for a few minutes, onions should not develop color. Add rice and cook, toasting rice for about 2 minutes. Stir in wine and saffron and stir, cook until wine is mostly evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add parmesan rind, ladle 1 cup broth mixture into skillet. Stir with a wooden spoon at a moderate speed until most of the broth is absorbed and the bottom of the skillet stays visible for a second or two as you mix, 2 to 3 minutes. Continue ladling broth into skillet, about 1/2 cup at a time (or enough just to cover the rice). Stir slowly but constantly, allowing the rice to absorb most of the broth before adding more. Risotto is ready when rice is al dente and the broth has thickened to a rich sauce, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice, and cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with more cheese and pepper to serve. If the risotto becomes stiff before serving, stir in more hot broth, a little at a time, until it’s loose and creamy.
- In small pan melt butter, Pat shrimp dry, Sautee garlic in butter add shrimp, herbs, splash of wine, and squeeze of lemon juice.
- Add shrimp to top of the risotto.