Galbani® Garden Fresh Lasagna
DONATELLA’S TIP: Lasagna holds up beautifully when cut into squares—and, of course, it is ideal for transporting. Encourage your pizzeria and catering customers to buy an entire tray. It reheats beautifully and is always better the next day!
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- Celery, grated
- Carrots, grated
- 3 Large zucchinis or 2 large eggplants, trimmed and grated
- 3 cups Button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 1 Sprig fresh rosemary
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 28-oz. can Italian tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 lb. Galbani Whole Milk Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Large egg yolks
- ¾ cup Galbani Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1¼ cups Galbani Premio Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Dry white wine (or vermouth)
- 2 tbsp. Flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. Kosher salt, divided
- 1 box No-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp. Pine nuts
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Optional garnish: Zucchini flowers
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the grated onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables release their moisture and begin to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season well with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juices. Use your hands to crush the tomatoes directly into the pot. Add the reserved tomato juices and stir.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Season again with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Coat a 9″×12″ baking dish with olive oil. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the Ricotta, 2 egg yolks, and ½ cup of Parmesan in a bowl and mix together.
- To the mixture, add the shredded Mozzarella, chopped shallot, white wine (or vermouth), parsley, 1 tsp. kosher salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Combine thoroughly.
- Arrange 3 sheets of lasagna on the bottom of the baking dish. Spread one-quarter of the Ricotta mixture over them. Spoon about one-third of the vegetable Bolognese mixture on top.
- Repeat step 4 twice more, making sure there are no exposed noodle edges that are not covered with Ricotta.
- Top the last layer of lasagna noodles with the last quarter of the Ricotta.
- Combine the pine nuts, breadcrumbs, and remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the Ricotta.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, raise the heat to 450°F, and bake 8 to 10 minutes more, until golden. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the fresh basil, cut into squares, and serve. Garnish with optional fried zucchini flowers if desired.