Roasted Pepper & Saffron Risotto
This Roasted Pepper and Saffron Risotto recipe is a delicious side dish for a dinner night with a dollop of mascarpone cheese.
- 2 Cups Arborio or Canaroli rice
- 2 Pints of low sodium chicken stock
- 3 Peppers (orange or red) roasted and diced
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp. of freshly chopped oregano
- 1 generous pinch of saffron threads
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons of mascarpone cheese for garnish (optional)
- Roast peppers whole let cool remove seeds and finely dice
- Steep the saffron in a little boiling water to release the flavor and color.
- Melt 3 tbsp. of butter and olive oil in a medium sized heavy bottomed saucepan and cook the onion without color until it is soft.
- Add the rice and cook for a solid 2 – 3 minutes constantly stirring the pan you want to toast the rice. Then add the wine and saffron dissolved in water on a medium heat until the wine has evaporated.
- Ladle in the stock gradually stirring from time to time until all the stock has been incorporated, repeat this process until all the stock is absorbed and rice is al dente. If you run low on stock just add a little water to stock.
- Allow the rice to cook until it is “al dente”, and then turn off the heat.
- Stir in fresh herbs and season well with freshly ground salt and black pepper. Stir in parmesan cheese and remainder of butter.
- To Serve
Pour into warm bowls and garnish with dollop of mascarpone cheese